Saturday, August 12, 2006

Hanging in Brooklyn & Harlem

So, the ANF Short Collective on Thursday night was a lot of fun. About 15 of my friends showed up and got the opportunity to sit in the VIP section, some of them were definitely into that VIP treatment. Personally, I could care less, though it is a nice perk to be able to treat your friends like they’re special. The evening was pretty uneventful until afterwards when I met a few guys. One guy, who had gold rims in his mouth (boy these guys LOVE me!) told me that he’s a facility coordinator for the city. So, I asked for a translation, and it really means that he handles the maintenance for a building in Brooklyn. Amazing how people try to spruce up the job descriptions just to make their jobs seems more impressive.

Then, I met a guy who recently broke up with his fiancé. Ouch! That has got to be painful. They had been dating for 4 years, so I figure it will take him about 2 years to get over her. We had a very nice, productive conversation during which he was trying to assess and analyze why I’m such a failure when it comes to relationships. Basically, my longest relationship was 9 months, and that was in 2000. I need serious help in that department! His assessment was that I tend to kick guys to the curb before they can break up with me or break my heart. I guess there is some truth to that. But, overwhelmingly, I just don’t meet guys who tickle my fancy. What can I say? I am a gorgeous, sexy, intellectual goddess and most men, regardless of race, class or religion just can’t handle all of MOI….and that’s their loss! Too bad this guy just got out of something because he definitely fits the IBM category. He’s in his late 30’s, no children, educated, Wall Street job, and very cultured. (He’s also divorced which can be a bit of a red flag…hmmmm) Too bad there are probably a million women chasing after him!! He claims that he tends to give women more love than they are able to reciprocate. We exchanged business cards and I’m sure we’ll run into each other again.

Last night, I hung out in Harlem. I went to Harlem Lanes, which is a bowling alley owned and operated by 2 black female entrepreneurs. The concept is great but you know anytime a whole lot of us are in one place, there’s bound to be stuff we don’t like. First, of all they have a pre-pay when you order food, which I balked at and ended up paying after I got my food because I didn’t agree with the policy. I guess they have to do that because there’s an issue of black folks skipping out on their bill. How nice!

Then there’s this policy that if children under 18 are in before 8pm, they can stay and hang out. Now, I am not interested in seeing children, when I’m hanging out at a grown folks event at 10pm. That makes no sense. Overall, the customer service sucked, the drinks were decent, and the crowd was ok. I don’t know that I will rush to go back there again.

Afterwards, I went next door to this newly opened (2 mos.) seafood restaurant. If you are ever in the mood for a great date spot or a place to take your family, you have to go to Pier 2110, the service was impeccable and they have a lounge as well as a bar area. On Friday night, they have karaoke and there were a lot of really talented people who sang. I had a blast just hanging out with friends!

On my way home, I also stopped at Ripple, this cool neighborhood bar in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn. I ran into a few people that I knew. I met a guy and exchanged numbers with him though I don’t know if he’s interested in me. We shall see. He works for an insurance company and likes to travel. He lives in NJ which is a deal breaker for me but we’ll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home